PREPARATION FOR LEAVING AMERICA
I left Austin on February 1st to visit family in Toronto before leaving for South Korea (which I'll call Korea for short). It wasn't too bad a visit because I was only there for five days so I was always busy. I had to stay at my Aunt's house because my mother is staying there until she finds a place of her own. It was strange to not be at my parents house. My father is in a "home" now because it's too much for my mother to look after him. He really doesn't know anyone and rarely can make a complete sentence, but I think on one of my visits he did say my name. I can't be sure but my mother thinks she heard it too. Who know what goes on in his head but the man in the home is not really my father. He's an alien who has stolen my father's body and mind.
I told myself when I went to visit him I wouldn't cry and would control myself. I managed to stay calm but my eyes watered a lot. No one said life is fair, but what's happened to him is the ultimate in unfairness.
I saw the lovely Elana (my older daughter) twice and that was great. It's difficult living in Texas while she lives in Oakville. I don't imagine living in Korea will be any easier. It's probably Elana's "fault" that I went to Korea. She was going to come here for a year to teach but she didn't. I suppose the idea remained planted silently in my mind.
My mother seemed in good spirits which was good. It's been a hellish few years for her. But she's tough and she has gone through many changes. Most of them for the better. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you have no choice.
When I left Austin, I left everything in my apartment there as my lease isn't up until the end of February. When I went to Toronto I still wasn't 100% sure I'd come to Korea. My daughter Leah (who is my baby) has a fiancee who was having a biopsy for a lump in his neck. If the results were bad, I would return to Austin. If everything was fine, I was Korea bound. Everything was fine which was a huge relief to everyone who knows and cares about Taylor. I left everything in my apartment in case I returned. Since I didn't I left a mess for Leah. I told her she could keep whatever money she got from anything she sold. And as a special plug, be sure to visit www.vacant.cc to read about her.
My flight to Korea was and did happen on February 5th at 11:50PM.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home