CAPTAIN’S LOG, SUPPLEMENTAL
I’ve always wanted to use that line. I think it’s so cool. Not that I envision myself as James T. Kirk but there is just something about the line that’s made it stick in my head for years. As all who know me, I will use any quote from anywhere if I can fit it in somewhere (even if it’s a stretch). “Captain’s Log, Supplemental” has avoided that fate for years, but today the day has come.
I have posted once today so as my second post in the same day it qualifies for the “supplemental” rating. What prompts me to write again? A couple of nice things and something that is weighing heavily on my mind.
I want Bose speakers. That has nothing to do with anything, but I thought with my 52nd birthday approaching (51 outside Korea) that I would drop some hints to those looking for gift ideas. Now back to our post.
I went to the open class today. I almost fell asleep. I suppose the only thing more boring than one’s own class, is watching someone else’s. The school we went to is much larger than where I teach. Their foreign teacher only works with the 2nd year students and that fills his schedule, so that should give some idea of school size. When Min Kyung and I got there, we signed in and waited in the computer lab which is situated in the Foreign Language section. Right away I knew that this school had some serious money to play with.
There were about 20 observers. They were mostly teacher’s from other schools. There was only one other “native speaker” (as we foreigner’s are known) in attendance. To confirm my “small world” theory, he was from Toronto. The class had about 40 kids and they were all boys. It seems that the school has a boy’s school and a girl’s school, yet this is a public school. Weird. I asked about it and was told they’ll be integrating next year.
They said afterwards that this was a normal class in the curriculum and not a special event for the visitors. I believe that and I approve. I asked if the kids were more well behaved than usual and was told that they chose the best class on purpose, so they were only a little quieter than usual. I liked their honesty. They used a power point presentation and other visual aids for the teaching. I was impressed by that, both the work that goes into creating the class materials, and the money they have to be able to use these things in a classroom environment.
Afterwards we went back to the computer lab for refreshments, a couple of speeches, and a question period. First we had to stand, place our hands on our hearts, face the Korean flag, and some sort of “pledgey” kind of thing was played in the background. Interesting. Then the principal gave a long-winded and boring speech in Korean. I have no idea what he said, but there were no jokes because no one was laughing. Fortunately he was the only Korean there who spoke in Korean to everyone.
They wanted the input of the visitors so they picked me to go first. I did not say it bored me to tears. I focused on the positive, told them I was impressed with both how much money they obviously had, and how they were actually using it in a practical manner. I commented that visuals work wonders with children, regardless of what they are. My comments were well received. Sometimes I can be quite tactful and friendly. However, it’s a side I try to keep hidden.
I had plans to meet Mee Kyung for our hike at 5pm. When we were at the school Min Kyung said she had many things to talk to me about that were important but she knew I had a date with Mee Kyung because I had told her. Min Kyung is just so nervous seeming and jumpy that it almost makes me nervous. She gets worked up and I sit back and say, “Relax, it will be all right”. She’s 30. I asked her that today and when she told me I just shook my head and said that I was old enough to be her father. Scary.
When we were at lunch today (I digress) she said that she is so bothered and worried about her work that she worries it will make her sick. She mentioned she worries about her worrying causing her cancer. So naturally I had to tell her I had cancer. And my carotid surgery. And my open-heart surgery. That shut up her worrying herself into cancer.
Anyhow, I said to her that I would cancel my hike if it was really important and she said no, that’s okay. During the question and answer period she asked me if I could call Mee Kyung and delay our hike for a bit. I wanted to slap her. I offered already. Anyhow, she just gets so agitated that I called Mee Kyung and cancelled until tomorrow.
After all was done we went outside and sat on some benches on the school property. She told me that she had talked to the principal about the camp and what I wanted. I was told that the camp should not exclude people and we can’t just take the “best”. We had to take 20 students per year because it had been decided. Never mind that means that some will be excluded because only the top 20 test scores can come to the camp. If you want logic, it was checked at the door.
I said that was fine. I wasn’t going to argue, I just needed to know the objective of the camp. I assumed camp meant fun and enrichment. Not here. Camp means intensive classes. Oh joy. I was also told that I have no say in who comes. It’s the test scores. It doesn’t matter that the test scores are no indication of the student’s verbal skills. I didn’t like it, but what could I do.
Then I was told that my various day trip ideas were not acceptable. Seoul was too far. The English village was too difficult to get to by public transportation. It was suggested that I go to a local mall because there is public transportation. In fact, I can go anywhere in Paju. Guess what? There is nowhere good to go. I can’t go to the park in Ilsan or go to Ilsan. It doesn’t matter that it’s only a 30 minute bus ride and the bus stop is minutes from the school. It made no sense. I was starting to get annoyed because I wanted logic and not just stupid things that made no sense being said. I can go on a 50 minute bus ride in Paju, but a 30 minute bus ride to Ilsan is no good.
Then came the thing that killed me. I had told Min Kyung that I wanted to be included in any discussions involving my classes. As I had written earlier, I didn’t need a blow by blow translation, just to be able to straighten things out if questions arose. The principal is only interested in me discussing school issues to do with my classes or anything only if I speak to him in Korean. Yes folks. If it’s in English and translated, it worthless. If it’s not Korean, it’s crap. I was now angry. I explained to Min Kyung how disrespectful it was to me. I also used the word “bullshit” a few times. She said that we must follow what the bosses say and I told her that I understood that. They have the final say. But to not want my view on things that involve my classes because I can’t voice them in Korean is absurd.
I let her know that I now had no respect for the principal or the vice-principal and I had nothing to say to them. I said I’ll shut up and do my job and anything interesting I come up with can be forgotten. I also said she could tell the principal that there would be no day trip for the camp so he didn’t have to worry about any problems about the kids leaving the school. Fuck him. I guess that’s what you get when a physical education teacher becomes a principal. The vice-principal is also a former physical education teacher. In fact, a lot of physical education teachers have become principals. Why? Because in Korea there is a point system for teachers for various things and when you get enough points, you can be a vice-principal and a principal. Physical education teachers used to get points for their schools sports teams winning competitions. So they had an advantage over non-physical education teachers. They have now removed those bonus points to even the playing field.
I spend a lot of time trying to get across to Min Kyung the difference between “cultural” and right and wrong. I don’t know if I’m making headway and I don’t know why I try so hard to get her to understand. She doesn’t even like being an English teacher. She wanted to be a Math teacher but she took English in University because her parents wanted her to. Parents like their daughters to major in languages I was told. I guess you can’t really reason with people like that. AND IT’S NOT CULTURE. IT’S DUMB!
I wasn’t raving but I was showing my displeasure with the whole thing. I feel very bad for Min Kyung because she’s in a no-win situation having to be the “middle man”. She said she worries that she won’t translate properly and there will be misunderstanding. I told her that even if her English was perfect, the middle man can always screw up. It’s a position no one should be in. She does have my deepest sympathy and I hate being a burden on her and try hard to lighten the load.
I then decided to make a joke. It was a good one. I got a book in Austin as a gift of translations of phrases into Korean. There are all types for informal things. It’s almost a joke book. I took the book out of my bag and found the phrase I wanted. I told her that if the principal wanted me to talk Korean, I would go and see him and say, “ssee-bahl nawn”. That translates to “fuck you”. The color drained from her face. She thought I was serious. She’s going on that I can’t say that and so on and so on. I’m trying to calm her down and tell her I’m joking. I thought it was hysterical. I’m sorry she missed the joke.
So our meeting came to an end. It ended with her being more upset than me. I told her that I might write a letter in Korean to the principal to tell him how disrespectful he is being of me. I told her that I wouldn’t do that right away but I would wait until I was calmer to decide. I told her that I wouldn’t get her to do the translation but someone else. She said if I do that, she might get in trouble. She does have a point. It puts me in a bind because he’s wrong and I want him to know it. I don’t want Min Kyung to get in trouble. I really like most Koreans, but they are a weird crew. Before we left I told her to relax, everything will be all right. There was nothing to worry about. I’m the one insulted and I have to try and get her to relax.
When I got home my toilet was leaking again. I didn’t want to walk to the office again so I phoned. There was a different person in there who spoke a little English. He came over and announced it was a different problem. I think he said someone would come tomorrow or the day after to replace the part. Who knows. He took my number. I’ll ask Min Kyung to call the office tomorrow for me to see what’s doing.
I was eating dinner when my door buzzer went off. I thought it was the toilet fixing crew but it was a woman with a paper and pen in her hand. She gets a few words out and I tell her that I don’t speak Korean. I ask if she speaks English but she doesn’t.. Through the odd word or two it seems she wanted me to sign this paper. What the hell. I’m a nice guy so I signed it. She then told me she lived in apartment 802 and this is where it gets a little confusing. She invited me to visit and to eat. I don’t know if this was an open invitation or I’d agreed to a set time. I just thought it was very hospitable of her. I think she meant it but I have no idea how the communication would go. Maybe her husband speaks English. Who knows. When she left she said either, "pleased to meet you" or "see you again". These are 2 phrases all Koreans know because they've been taught to them in school. It's funny. If a person can only say 2 things, then these are the two.
Mee Kyung calls me again tonight. I think she’s lonely. We spoke for a half hour last night. We spoke today to change our hiking date until tomorrow. She didn’t have anything to say. There was a long period of silence and she says, “okay goodbye”. I just said I would see her tomorrow. I thought I was lonely at times but there are those who live here who seem to be even more lonely than me.
I had an email from the liaison between the teacher’s and the school board for the province I work in. I had called him yesterday for information on the programs run at the English village to see if it was worth going to. Of course, this was before I knew all my ideas were worthless. He was writing to tell me he’d have the information for me tomorrow. I took the opportunity to tell him I didn’t need it because the principal didn’t like the idea of going there. I also told him that the principal had no interest in what I had to say because it wasn’t in Korean. I also told him that it’s difficult to work in a school where they condone the hitting of children. Yes, I do like to stir the pot a bit. I wouldn’t have written him this, but his email was sitting there. Timing is everything.
So I’ve thought about it more and more. There is one other possibility that has occurred to me. Maybe he was making a joke when he was talking to Min Kyung. I can see what he said told as a joke. I can’t see any thinking person saying something so ignorant. Maybe she didn’t get the joke. She’s so intimidated by her bosses that everything they say is like the word of god. I will ask her if it’s a possibility that he was making a joke. But I don’t think I’ll ever know.
I will just go along as business as usual. If I have something I want to say, I’ll ask Min Kyung to tell him for me. I’ll ignore the Korean crack. And when I submit my camp plan it will include a trip to Ilsan. I will choose to just follow the convenient public transportation being used that he wanted. I’ll ignore what I don’t like. If push comes to shove, I won’t go to Ilsan but if I go on like I will go, perhaps he won’t say anything. We wouldn’t want to upset the crazy foreigner, would we?
So ends the captain’s log, supplemental.

1 Comments:
Yes Martin,
Like you say just go ahead and do as you envision things should be. If little old ladies can just go ahead and cross the road walking and expecting everyone else to not hit them on a "DON'T CROSS" light just because they are old ladies then you should be able to just go ahead and do want you want because you are the 'native speaker' and who wants to mess with you.
But what if he (boss) interpretes that as Min Kyung not doing her assigned responsibility of informing you of the bosses to be decisions.
What a dilemma?
On a lighter note. An engineer to fix a leaking toilet? Are the toilets in South Korea that much more advanced than toilets in North America? I bet I could have repaired that water leak on the first attempt. Unfortunately you are a little (just a little) too far for me to drop by. Hopefully they can fix it on the 2nd attempt.
Speaking of stirring the pot. Have you been cooking up a storm in your new kitchen? Have you watched a TV program called "Hell's Kitchen" with Gordon Ramsey (world class chef) hosting? The host may actually remind you of someone we have had the displeasure of knowing. Watch it atleast once. Here's the link, http://www.fox.com/hellskitchen/ .
Good luck,
:-)
Post a Comment
<< Home