Martin's South Korea Living!

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING

As Roseanne Roseannadanna’s father used to say, “it’s always something”. It’s so much better here than in Gwangyang, but it’s not perfect. Only a fool such as I would think that things could be perfect. So I have no respect for the principal. So what. So I don’t think most of the teacher’s care about the students. So what. I should first and foremost be concerned with my behavior and what I do. So that’s the general rule.

However, Min Kyung just seems to be grating on my nerves. She’s not a bad person. She’s just annoying. I had told her that I would be decorating the classroom I’m going to be using as an English room this week with the posters I had bought. Yesterday (Monday) she puts a note on my desk to decorate the classroom. Did she think I had forgotten? Does she think I’m an idiot? I’ve done nothing to indicate I’m a forgetful person which I know I can be at times. But so far here, no one would know that. This woman needs to relax.

I bought “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” on the weekend. The school would illegally copy it and then the kids at the camp would have a novel to read. I showed her the novel. She opened it to see how many pages it had (155) and pronounced it too difficult for the kids. Did she read one page of the book? Of course not. It was the length that was important. I’m not fighting with anyone because it’s pointless so I just said, “okay, we won’t read the book”. Do I think she’s a bit of a moron when it comes to teaching? Yes, I do. Do I think she’s someone worth listening to about teaching? No, I don’t.

The ideas she has contributed to the camp are two in number and they qualify as idiot suggestions. The first was that after watching the Willy Wonka film I give the kids pages of the script with words missing and ask them to fill in the blanks. Great idea Ms. Einstein. I said where do I get this film script? She said on the Internet. I said have you ever seen an entire film script on the Internet and she said no, but they must be there.

Her 2nd idea of brilliance was after watching the Wizard of Oz I have the kids practice the dialogue from the film using the script (which of course I can get off the Internet). So basically I will just smile, nod, and ignore her and do what I feel is best. I’d love to be working with an English teacher with good ideas who cared about kids and knew what she was doing. But I know that sometimes I ask too much.

We were released from school at 1PM yesterday. That was nice as I was tired and treated myself to an afternoon nap. Last night I watched “Code 46”, a science fiction film with Tim Robbins and Samantha Morton. It had a good premise and some good ideas, but it just didn’t make it as a good movie.

I’m having trouble starting my car. I have to try and try. Unfortunately it only happens when the car has been sitting a long time. I went to the garage yesterday and of course it started right away so they couldn’t make a diagnosis. It probably needs a new battery but I don’t want to buy one if it’s something else. I think I may have to wait to see if it dies before I can get help with it. I did get the air filter replaced as it was filthy.

Today I’m here until 4PM. No classes because of exams. I’ll read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so I can write a synopsis of the story for the children. It’s not the same as reading the novel, but we certainly don’t want them to work too hard to achieve something.

I have no vacation plans yet. I don’t know what I’m waiting for. Perhaps a bolt of lightening to hit me and make me know what to do. Who knows, but I have to book something soon.

Not much else to report. Life is becoming life. I suppose it doesn’t matter where in the world you are, there is always a routine you settle into.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home