MONDAY, MONDAY
"Monday Monday, can't trust that day, Monday Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way".
Actually it wasn't that terrible, just the usual mishmash of confusion and feeling fed up. Kelly calls me at about 2:20PM and says, "Hello, did you miss me"? She went to Seoul (that city name has 2 syllables) last Thursday. I said, "Of course" because I'm the world's biggest liar. I don't know why she called. I suppose it was so she could be sure I'd be there at 3 to babysit the kindergarten kids. She also told me there would be a new kindergarten student and I should be extra nice to her. I told her that I'm nice to everyone. I think she said that to me because every paying student counts and not that she thought I'd terrorize a 6 year old.
The new girl is just another animal. I couldn't stand her. The kids were uncontrollable as usual. The girl who loves to hug me spent most of the class hugging me. I have one girl who likes to hit me and I just want to belt her. I can see her 30 years from now. She'll be some fat cow who has screwed her kids up (if someone will be stupid enough to be with her). She'll be a witch and a bitch. Yes, I don't think I like that girl. I just can't wait to see them all again tomorrow. I'm back to doing kindergarten 5 days a week, and not working until 10PM anymore. There is a price to pay, and they told me I'd be doing kindergarten before I took the job. I just pictured well-behaved Oriental children. Preconceived stereotypes should be avoided.
They are always asking to go for water or go to the washroom. One girl asked to go to the washroom and I wouldn't let her. Another girl kept telling me (in Korean) that she had to pee. How do I know that was what she was saying? Because she stuck out her stomach and sort of crouched a little. It was pretty good acting and got the point across.
I actually had a decent class with my 4PM kids. I tried to make the class into some sort of game. I managed to involve everyone and even got one kid who I haven't heard a word of English from to actually say some words. Before the class I asked Kelly if we had some textbooks for the kids. She says they'll be here tomorrow. I have so many kids without books it's absurd.
The new schedule came out today. I went to my usual 5PM classroom and she came and told me the new schedule had me in a different class with a lower level. Fine, I went. I then read the schedule and had her explain it to me. I was in the wrong 5PM class. She made some stupid excuse about why she screwed up with my classroom. I didn't buy it, and then again I really didn't care. The 5PM kids regardless of the class are horrible. Except for one girl who actually really wants to learn.
I think I lost my 6PM class. They're the ones I adore. I go to the room and then Kelly puts me in a different class. It seems that a bunch of the kids downgraded from 1 conversation class and 1 grammar class to just 1 grammar class. The new school year began March 2nd and with that, a lot of the kids moved to middle school which means less time for the other schools they went to after school.
So Kelly will teach them grammar. After all everyone knows Korean's are experts at English grammar. When I saw the kids after their class I told them how sad I was that I wasn't their teacher anymore. They told me that I'd be teaching them twice a week and that I was their favorite teacher. I said there were only 3 teachers in the school. They laughed. I love when I make a small joke and they get it. Then Kelly tells me that the 2 kids (that was all there was) in my 6PM class should be in my 7PM class. Boy, is she with it. I told her then I would have no class at 6. She said she has to look at the schedule again. So maybe I'll be teaching my 6PM kids again. I hope so. They are my day's highlight.
It's just so bloody disorganized. I know it's not a real daytime school and there will be students coming and going but I still get the feeling that it could be more organized. I was talking a little to Jason today (the other teacher) and he said he just teaches there. He said Kelly tells him what and how to teach. She doesn't tell me how to teach. He says he wants to quit every day but he needs a plan if he's going to do that. He's been teaching for 9 years.
I'm still trying to find out if my medications will be covered under my Korean health insurance. I wrote to the agency that placed me at the school last week because Kelly was useless and asked them. The woman who I worked with there said she would check it out shortly and get the information. I think she's related to Kelly. I haven't heard anything so I wrote her an email last night saying that here I was, working hard and knowing no one in Korea and that I am sort of their guest and they should be getting me the information I need. I don't think it worked. I didn't get an email from her today.
One girl brought me in an English to Korean translation book. She is a sweetie. It has phrases translated in it. The Korean even has it written in English phonetically. I was giving the kids a good laugh with my pronunciation. I don't know why so many North Americans laugh at people's accents. We don't sound any better (and probably worse) when we try to speak someone else's language.
So tomorrow I start asking for things again. I dread it. I'm so sick of it. It would be so easy if I could just say that everyone was a jerk and didn't give a damn. But I know it's not that. It's just a different culture and I don't think they realize that I am their guest. I will try and fit in and conform (ha ha), but they need to go out of their way for me. I have to ask about meds, yoga, getting a driver's license, going to Japan, if I teach at 6, where are the books, and who knows what else.
I'm getting sick of listening to me. I can't wait to see what I have to complain about tomorrow.
Tell me again. Why did I come to Korea? (That was a joke).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home