HOLIDAY? SO WHAT?
Yes, it's a holiday today. When I asked my students to tell me what holiday it was, they sort of said it was, "the Japanese left Korea day". Close enough. I looked it up. It's "Independence Movement Day". For those of you interested, this is what it's about:
"March 1, 1919, marked the beginning of the Korean Independence Movement On this day, independence fighters announced Korea's declaration of independence from Japanese colonialism. In response, Japanese police and military forces killed and injured thousands of unarmed protestors".
So there you have it. I think it's a government holiday because it seems that the stores are open but government offices are closed. And I don't work. So what do I do with my free day? I wasn't going to ask Kelly. I asked Jason (who is the other English teacher in the school). He is a Korean. He has a family and seems to be about 40. He hasn't extended any personal hospitality towards me. We talk a bit in school but he hasn't invited me to his home, or made any suggestions about what I can do. I hint enough, but the fact is he doesn't really care what happens with me. That's his prerogative.
I asked him last night what I could do or see with my day off in Gwangyang. He said there is nothing to do. Then he said there is a good temple about 30 minutes away. It would help if I had a car. You can take the bus, but you should go with someone the first time. He offered no directions. So here I am at home typing away. I'm starting to think Gwangyang might have been a poor choice of cities. The size (150,000) sounded good, but if I'm going to have no social circle then I should have gone to a prettier place. Actually today's act of friendliness award goes to the guy who runs a local market. He said to me, "English Teacher"? I said yes. That got a smile and laugh from the people in the store. Except for a "goodbye" it was also the only English that they could say I think.
If I was going to live in a place with nothing to do, I could have picked a prettier town. From what I hear from the few I talk to is that I need a car to get around and see anything. Great. Yoga starts tomorrow so that's something. For sure I'm hitting a bar Saturday night. Kelly and her family won't be babysitting me because they're going to Seoul for her sister's wedding. I am truly on my own. Of course, maybe I'll meet my new best friend at Yoga tomorrow.
Now I'll get my Kelly complaints out of the way. I'm afraid I might be giving the wrong idea about her. She is nice and does try to be helpful. She just makes promises and commitments and tells me she'll do things, and she just doesn't follow through. It's not malicious. I think it's just overextending herself and poor time management. I complain about her because she is my bridge to Korea for now. And she's a very shaky bridge.
She was supposed to start my Korean lessons "for sure" yesterday from 3:40 until 4:00. Just to give some background and give me homework so I will learn the letters and such. Needless to say it never happened. She had to talk on the phone. She did give me a piece of paper with letters on them and the sounds on them. A picture of a Korean letter with an "m" for example beside it. She said to memorize it. Great teaching!
Before I left I asked her who was driving on Saturday and Sunday for the students I tutor there. She hadn't thought of it and she said no one will be in town. But she'd think about it and let me know. I suppose I should sit by my phone and wait to find out. I can just see these kids on Saturday waiting for a ride and no one shows up. But maybe she'll surprise me. Maybe pigs will fly.
One of my students said yesterday that she was bringing me a book on Thursday. I think it's in English and Korean and is used to teach Korean. Sometimes something is lost in translation. But that was very thoughtful of her. Maybe she should tutor me. She's about 12 but is probably more dependable that some who shall remain nameless.
Complaining is a drag. I think I'm doing it too much which is a bad sign. Another option I may consider is just quitting this job and going elsewhere in Korea. Others do it. I don't want to break my contract, but neither do I want to be unhappy. I have some great kids who I enjoy, and I see a few interesting things, but overall it isn't enough to make up for this lack of a life. I'm here for an adventure. That doesn't mean thrills and chills, but new experiences. I have them, but not enough. I am not ready to declare Gwangyang defeat yet. It's too early. But I won't stay out of stubborness. Sometimes it takes a brave person to admit defeat. So I have an open mind about the future and no strong feeling that I MUST DO THIS. I have options and choices. And I can always go back to Austin and live with Leah and Taylor. (Did I scare you Leah?).
Okay, back to doing nothing. I took some pictures that I'll share with you of my building and what you can see from outside it. They will fascinate you.
My Apartment Building
Front Door To Apartment Building
My Apartment Front Door
My Front Door Open To My Apartment
View To The Left From Front Of Building
View To The Right From Front Of Building
View Across The Street From Front Of Building
Where You Dump Your Garbage Across The Road

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home