THE WEEKEND ARRIVES--SO WHAT?
Friday I went to school determined that I was tired of waiting for others to show me how to have a life. I would be more aggressive and not ask for things in a so friendly way, but in a more direct and somewhat demanding way. Life is not going to happen if I wait for it.
I will begin my Yoga classes next week. I'll start on either Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday. I can't find my track pants so I'll have to find some. I don't know where the yoga place is, so I'll have to get Kelly to either show me or tell me. At least she called them. The original place by the school was not my first choice as I would have to take a taxi there. She phoned me last night to say she found one about a 3 minute walk from where I live. And I'll be going on my own. It's 5 days a week so my upcoming serenity may actually make me comatose. Actually, I'm looking forward to doing something on my own and seeing some new faces.
I did nothing Friday night because by the time school finished for me (10PM), I didn't mind just going back to my apartment. I found some online places that teach Korean for free, so I can get a head start before my "official" classes with Kelly. I will still push the issue and not let it slip. Online is okay, working with a teacher is better.
She also told me that I can't have the van to use yet. I just assumed that my driver's license was good enough over here. No. You need a Korean driver's license or an International driver's license. Apparently I can get one through AAA, but their site has been down so I can't get at the place where I learn to go about it. When it comes back, I'll start on that. Naturally I'm disappointed that I won't be able to go out driving around on my own, but I do understand. I wouldn't give my vechicle to someone without a valid license either.
Today was my first day of my other job, privately teaching 3 kids. The class was from 2:30 to 4:00 and I'm going to hate it. (Yes, I know. My attitude stinks). Two of the kids are 16 and know some English but are too damn quiet. I thought I was tutoring excellent students. One of those kids is going to the States in August for 10 months as an exchange student. The 3rd student was in Virginia for 10 months 2 years ago and is 18 and he speaks pretty well. He wants classes so he doesn't forget his English. He's miles ahead of the other two, so instead of working with 3 kids on the same level, I have 2 levels. Nothing is ever easy. They all want to do conversational English, but I only have so many topics to discuss. I asked them to think up ideas for what we can talk about. One suggested reading an English paper and discussing the stories. It was a great idea except I don't know where to get one. There is a paper called the "Korea Times" which is a Korean paper in English. I am going to have to find out how to get copies. I also wouldn't mind a bookstore that sells English books (like short stories) so we can read and discuss. I don't know if there is one in the area but I'll find out if there is somewhere online I can order a couple and get them shipped quickly and cheaply.
Tomorrow the class is at 7AM because I don't want to do it in the middle of the day, and I can't do it at a better time like 9AM because one of the kids goes to church. I have no idea what I'll be doing.
Last night another situation with the tutoring came up. The mothers want the school to provide transportation. Kelly doesn't really want to because it costs money and she doesn't want to ask anyone to work on the weekends. The parents won't pay for fuel. So who do they come to? Yes sir, it's me. I am going to pay the school about $20 a month for these kids to get to school. And I offered to actually do the driving but this was before anyone realized I can't drive here yet. So Kelly is stuck having someone drive them, and I'm stuck paying the $20. The amount isn't much but it's the principal of the thing. I guess principals here are different than in North America. As my mother used to say, "Give them an inch, they want a mile".
I learned from some of my students that the teacher's hit them in class. For example, they carry a stick and if the child didn't do the homework (or some other crime) they tell the child to hold out their hand and they whack it. When I learned this I told the kids I thought it was wrong. I wonder if all Koreans are so enamored of hitting. I think it's ridiculous and I don't mind saying so.
In another class I asked everyone's religion. I got answers of Catholic, Christian, believe in Jesus, and believe in myself. They asked what I was and I told them Atheist. I tried to explain about the separation of church and state and how in some places in the States (do I hear East Texas) people want you to believe what they believe. I don't know how far I got with that explanation. I think I'm looking to start a revolution.
Kelly's husband drove the kids and I to school today, and then after school I went with Kelly's husband (who is nameless to me at the moment) and Jack (the one who helps at the school and is Kelly's husband's friend) to Sucheon. It was very nice of them to ask me along although I'm sure Kelly asked or told her husband to. He speaks very little English (a word here and there) and Jack speaks a little but he says he understands about 90% of what I say. We went to the movie theatre to check show times and get tickets. Out of the 9 cinema's there, all 9 were showing Korean films. So we went to another one and they were showing "Firewall" with Harrison Ford. In the U.S. I wouldn't have gone to the show to see that, but I must confess I did enjoy it. It was exciting. And best of all, I didn't cry. My Korean pals also enjoyed it but they talked a little too much in the movie.
Before the movie we went to get something to eat. It was at that great Korean food chain, Pizza Hut. I'm not complaining. It was nice to eat something that I didn't have to work at getting down my throat. When we were discussing what kind of pizza to order, I did veto the one with sweet potatoes on it. We compromised on ham and pineapple. Not my first choice, but it was very good. (If I was in the States, it would have been rated so-so).
We got back to Gwangyang around 9 and although I was planning on going to a bar tonight to check one out, I was just too tired. Plus I have to get up at 6 for my lesson.
When I went out this morning to get my baguette around the corner, the man in the store recognizes me so he doesn't try to put the free tub of cream in with it anymore since I've motioned to him that I don't want that. Today he added a pastry to it. I thought that was quite nice as he didn't have to throw anything in. When I know a few words of Korean, these local guys whose shops I frequent are going to be shocked when I speak to them in Korean. That is, after they pick themselves off the floor from laughing so hard at my accent.
I don't know what I'll do tomorrow after my exciting time talking English from 7 to 8:30. I think I'll take a taxi to the supermarket and do some shopping and get some track pants. The weather still isn't warm enough to just walk around and besides, I have no idea where anything is. Next week I force Kelly to get me a bus schedule and map in English. No more asking and waiting. I believe in being polite, but sometimes you just have to be aggressive. So I'll be serene with my yoga and aggressive with my needs.
I took some pictures of my kitchen today. I know some people are curious about this cubbyhole I call "home", so I thought I'd give them out bit by bit. I don't know if you can really understand how small it is because I couldn't get far enough back to get the whole thing in properly. But notice how close the refridgerator and the washing machine are? That should give a clue. Enjoy.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home