Martin's South Korea Living!

Saturday, February 25, 2006

IT'LL BE A HOT TIME IN THE OLD TOWN TONIGHT

I'm back from tutoring. Two of the three kids brought their money for the month so I'm not broke anymore. I spent about $280 on drugs yesterday. I thought it would be cheap here for meds, but maybe not. I may have to do my drug shopping through a reputable online pharmacy. (Is that an oxymoron)?

I think payday is on Tuesday. I think everything is direct deposit but they will have to pay me in cash since I don't have a bank account and can't get one until I have my work visa. But since I have my tutoring money and I should have my visa in the next couple of weeks, I might let them just pay me later.

The tutoring class went well and I feel better. We used the book. Kelly photocopied some pages. I think the book is too difficult for them. Kelly said she will recommend some books to use and that would be fine with me. I asked the students if I was crazy or not. I wanted to know if we talked about using books last week and what they wanted to learn. They said we did, but they are now going along with one kid's mother on the best way to approach the class. Bottom line is if I get paid, I'm happy. I can do anything they want since they are 3 people who are there to actually improve their English so it's not a struggle to work with them.

Kelly suggested I give them homework tonight. I couldn't. It's Saturday, these kids have homework and long days every day, I'm not giving them Saturday night homework. They suggested homework after Sunday's class so they'd have all week. I'm okay with that. Some of these kids need to be kids and play. All life isn't school, nor should it be.

On the ride home, I asked Jack if he had plans tonight. I thought I could get a bar-hopping buddy. I think he said he was busy. (Who knows?). I got him to write down where I should get a taxi to, and he said there are lots of bars in that area. The English students were with us to translate so I think all was clear. So that was my plan.

I just had a call from Kelly. She told me 'they' (whoever they are) are going to Suncheon tonight to go shopping, to the Korean Sauna, and maybe to eat and told me I could join them. I complain enough about her, but it was thoughtful of her to call me. I asked wouldn't I be in the way or wasn't she sick of me. She assured me that I wouldn't be in the way or stop their fun. I told her she should say, "We'd love to have you join us". She laughed and said it wasn't the Korean way. In Korea if you invite someone, that means you want them to come. She said Americans sometimes exaggerated. I can't argue with that. So I will visit a Korean Sauna tonight. I hate Sauna's but it's a cultural experience I can't refuse. I hate getting naked in a group of men, or public showers, or whatever they have. I was told to bring my bathing suit so I really don't know what to expect, except it will be the unexpected.

I'm reminded of when I was a child and my father used to go to the steam bath on Sunday mornings. He would always ask me to go with him and I would always say no. Except one time I went and hated it. Sauna's are hot. Very hot. Too damn hot.

I really do appreciate being invited but I really need to expand my social circle such as it is. I did think I should say no, and just hit some bars but I really am not a bar-hopper. I think I'm going to have to do it one time.

Needless to see I don't feel as bad as I did before I left for tutoring. I just want a stable place for my mind. I would hate to see this turn into a test of my will to stick it out. It's just such an emotional roller-coaster now. At least I'm not crying. (A big thank you to the drugs).

I'll have a Sauna report tomorrow. I wonder if I can take a camera in and take pictures? However I'm worried that if I do, I may learn what happens to someone on the receiving end of Tae-Kwando.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home