Martin's South Korea Living!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

ORIENTATION CONTINUES, WHEREVER I AM

Where am I? I don’t know. I feel a little stupid not knowing where I am, but I suppose many could say I never know where I am. Today was the first full day of orientation and I don’t think I’ll be learning a hell of a lot.

I slept well last night in my motel room. I am so glad I decided to stay here. I’ve heard complaints from others at the resort with regards to sleeping conditions. This was money well spent. I walked over the resort this morning and had breakfast. They had eggs and toast which was just fine with me. After that we headed to what was like a lecture hall for the orientation. The opening ceremonies began with all rising and saluting the Korean flag. We didn’t have to sing because no one knew the words to the anthem. The salute was putting your hand over your heart. It was kind of humorous. Then it was on to a couple of boring speeches by officials of the education ministry. At least that’s what I think they were. After that was our first lecture but I don’t even remember it. Then it was time for lunch.

Lunch was Korean food and the smell was deadly to my nostrils. I went down the buffet line and declared that there was no suitable food for me to eat. I then went back and got a plate of white rice. Then I had a brainstorm and I asked the kitchen staff if they had any fruit. The kitchen guy took me to the head Korean running this orientation and I explained to him my distaste for Korean food in a very apologetic manner. I asked him if he could get me an orange or something. He asked and then told me that they didn’t have any. I went back to my chair. Then the head Korean guy came back and said something like they were going to the store to get me something. A few minutes later the wait staff brought me a plate of tomatoes, bananas, and oranges. I love Koreans. It was very kind and thoughtful of them, and I appreciate how they try to ensure your comfort. (Was I really in Gwangyang)?

There were 2 different seminars this afternoon. It was a real struggle which I didn’t always win, to stay awake. The first was this Korean woman who was from Arizona who taught English. Some of her stories were interesting and she laid out some things that are different with Americans and Koreans. I knew most of this stuff. Her English was surprisingly bad for a “native” speaker. The 2nd speaker was a Korean professor who was quite charming and went over teaching methods. Once again I knew most of this stuff. Most of the afternoon seminars were geared toward elementary students. Tomorrow there will be more high school stuff and middle school (that’s me) which is part of high school. The professor woman showed a book she made almost 20 years ago and it was so cool. She had made a copy of “The Very Hungry Caterpillar”. The drawings were quite excellent. She then went over how she would teach it in class by trying to teach us in Korean first. They way she explained things, and the tone of voice she used were no different than when I taught it at the academy in Gwangyang. A lot of this teaching English as a 2nd language is common sense. Talk at the level of your audience, use gestures and pictures, speak slowly, and things like that are things any idiot should know. She spoke in an entertaining manner but I still managed to fall asleep a few times.

After that there was a break for one hour before dinner. I sat in the lobby by myself for a while and then when people came in I’d chat with them. It’s basically a very nice and interesting group. I’ve met two women who just started working in Paju and we will exchange numbers. One is a young woman from New Zealand. We’ve only spoken briefly but she comes across as quite nice. The other is a woman my age who hails from Thunder Bay, Ontario. She’s not a teacher by trade, but she taught in Taiwan last year and now she’s here. Her husband is moving here in about July or whenever their house sells. He lost his job in the mines in Thunder Bay because the mine shut down. Thunder Bay is becoming a depressed area. She seems nice and interesting and I’ve enjoyed chatting with her.

There are quite a few Canadians in the group. It’s amazing what a small world it really is. There is a couple there who also came from Thunder Bay. We’re not talking a major metropolis when we talk about Thunder Bay so it is a little amazing. There is an older man in his 60’s who is so incredibly lonely. If he gets near anyone he talks and talks about himself and his incredibly boring teaching experiences. He just makes me want to scream for him to shut up. He monopolizes any group and that group quickly disperses. It’s quite sad actually.

Dinner was edible. The grapes and pineapple were great. They had edible potatoes too. After dinner I went on a half hour mountainous hike with the woman from Thunder Bay and a young man named James. James was born in Korea and moved to the U.S. at a young age. He’s now divorced and he’s moved here with his 6 year old son to try something new. As I said, there are interesting people here.

Tomorrow night they’ve arranged a presentation of traditional Korean music on traditional Korean instruments which I’m looking forward too. On Thursday afternoon they’ve arranged a field trip to some fortress. I’m game for that. I’m sorry I’m not going to get to learn many teaching tips, but it’s been interesting chatting with most people and getting this small tour opportunity and the night of music.

The most interesting thing I learned today was that I’m a “co-teacher”. This means that the Korean English teacher and myself are both in the classroom. That will be quite weird. I really don’t want company because it may cramp whatever style I may have. The other thing that worries me is that it may be too easy for the kids, and even myself, to use her for translation before I’ve exhausted my explanation methods, my drawings, and my acting. On the other hand, she may be intimidated by me and my perfect (I wish) English. I truly hope we can work together well and are comfortable with each other.

I wish I was back in my fancy new apartment. I just met it and already I miss it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home