Martin's South Korea Living!

Thursday, June 01, 2006

MEET THE CLASSES

I rode my bicycle to school today and I’m the only teacher who rides a bike to school. So either good for me, or what a fool. It took me about 10 minutes and I didn’t have an accident. I almost hit one lady on her bike, but we both managed to stop in time. I must admit I really didn’t enjoy riding a bike. It’s been a very long time but we do what we have to do. I have 2 people looking to find me a deal on a car. One is the other English teacher, and the other is the vice-principal. I have a very low budget and if I can get something really cheap then I’m doing it. I want to drive to school and drive to shopping and on errands. I would also like to visit the hard to get to places in the countryside. We shall see.

As I walk through the halls at school it seems like every student has a big hello for me. They seem just thrilled to see me. Today in each class I went in to, there was a huge cheer and the kids were bubbling over with excitement to see me. I don’t delude myself that I’m special, at least not yet. I hope their enthusiasm remains once they get to know me. I wore my orange running shoes today which got me several compliments from the kids.

For the first time teaching, I didn’t give my name as Martin. I told them my name was Mr. King and I gave them a bit of background on myself such as where I was born, where I’ve lived, how long I’ve been in Korea, and the names and ages of Elana and Leah. That led to a good laugh (and shows that they do know something) when they asked my age and I’d say 25. They laughed and said it was impossible because Elana was 23. I told them I was a father at two. They’re silly little jokes but I use them all the time to see who is listening and what they can understand.

I made every child stand up and tell me their name and at least one thing about themselves. Even those whose English was less than basic gave it a shot so I was quite pleased. Most of them would either say their hobby was computer games, sleeping, or watching TV. Others would say they have four in their family; a mother, a father, themselves, and a brother or sister. I asked those kids if they liked their brother or sister and every one except for one said “NO”.

One girl, who I’m sure I’ll love, said she wanted to be and then stopped and whispered in my ear. She said, “a model”. I thought that was so cute that she had to whisper it instead of saying it out loud. What made it exceptionally cute was that after that she said she loved boys and she loved her boyfriend who was in the class. I thought that was strange that you had to whisper you wanted to be a model, but you could make a public announcement about a boy you loved.

Doing this took up much of the class so that was good. I told them I had one rule and that was when someone was talking, everyone else should listen. Of course it doesn’t work like that in reality but they were easy to reign in when it got a little loud. I told them that I understood that learning a language could be boring and I would try to teach them, and to have fun with them. That went over quite well.

I asked them if there was anything special they enjoyed doing in class and all the classes gave the same answer. It was hangman. They love playing hangman. I would then write Hangman on the board and then above it in big capital letters I’d write, “I HATE” so it would read “I HATE Hangman”. I can’t stand that game. In the couple of minutes remaining I did some word jumbles which I find to be more fun, and the kids enjoy them.

It’s just such an ego boast and makes you feel so good when the kids are fawning over you. There is no feeling that can compare in work to the unconditional love that these kids shower upon you. It does make me want to do a good job for them. Even in Gwangyang I never had a problem with the kids as people. It’s nice to see that I am going to like these kids too. The other English teacher said the 3rd year students are the worst in learning and I believe her. The 2nd year and 1st year students will be fine. The 3rd year will be a challenge and I’ll have to come up with some interesting ways to entertain large classes.

I watched the other English teacher do a couple of classes and it was deadly. The whole class would read a passage and I have no idea if they understood anything they read. Then she’d play the tape that comes with the textbook and they’d repeat what was being said. There is no way they can learn anything like that. It just sounded like a dull murmur in class.

This morning I was told that they didn’t have the money to get me a computer just yet. The other English teacher told me that the vice principal told her that. I said that I’d have to go downstairs and talk to the money man and tell him I should have one now. I tried to explain to her that the school offered me a computer for my home use, and I turned it down because I had my own, so obviously they had money for a computer for me. But I never had to talk to the money guy because one hour later I was told my computer had been ordered and I’ll have it soon.

I then was given my own classroom. I hadn’t even discussed it with the principal but I got it. The school has only been open 2 months I found out and there are lots of empty rooms in anticipation of school growth. I have a huge classroom with a smaller room adjoining it. It was dirty but I was told that the kids would be cleaning it up. They don’t have janitors in the schools but have the kids do the cleaning.

All I can say is that they are doing everything they can to make me happy. It’s unreal. I may ask them to change their horrible lunch menu to better food. I wouldn’t be surprised if they made special meals for me. (I’m not going to do that though. At least not yet).

This is so weird to not be complaining about anything. And everything isn’t great just as a comparison with Gwangyang and the forgettable Kelly. Everything is great because it is great. I’m treated well and the people are friendly. I’ve made at least one new friend who’s Korean (Yoon-soo), and I may be making more. So far this whole Paju experience stands on it’s own as a great experience. Part of me wonders when it will come tumbling down but that’s just the worrier part of me. There’s no reason it has to.

Every time I remember I’m going to Texas in 8 days, I start to get a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. It’s not a bad nervousness, it’s an excited one. I am so glad that I’m going when things are good here instead of when things are bad and it’s just an escape. I think I’ll enjoy myself more knowing that when I return here, that even though I’ll miss those I care about, I’ll be coming back to something I enjoy.

I bought $200 worth of books on Amazon today to be shipped to me in Texas. That should fill one suitcase for my return. I’m quite excited about reading the new Roberto Clemente biography. It’s supposed to be quite good and from what I understand, as great a baseball player as he was, he was even a greater humanitarian. I think his death was the saddest of any ballplayer’s including the Lou Gehrig tragedy. For those that don’t remember, he died in a plane crash carrying relief supplies to the survivors of an earthquake in Nicaragua on New Year’s Eve, December 31, 1972. He was going there personally to ensure that the supplies got into the hands of those who needed them.

1 Comments:

Blogger XXX said...

Hi Martin,

How about a motorcycle or moped? Maybe you can attach a small trailer for your shopping trips. It would be inexpensive to purchase and economical on fuel. Don't forget your helmet and a rain suit. Or maybe NOT. Being that you wouldn't be able to bring a friend.

I am glad that things continue to go well for you.

:-)

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home