Martin's South Korea Living!

Friday, June 02, 2006

SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A ROCK STAR

It’s so weird and almost impossible for me to describe the reaction I get in the hallways and classrooms of the school. The kids are literally cheering and going crazy when I come into their classrooms. Almost every kid stops me in the hall to say hello and nice to meet you. Some want to touch me and shake my hand. It’s just so strange.

Today when I was going around the class asking each student to tell me at least one thing, a few of them said to me, “I love you”. They love my earring. They love my shoes. I felt like a mini-celebrity in Gwangyang but here with the larger school and class sizes, I feel like a regular celebrity. I wish I had a hidden camera because I find it truly unbelievable.

I found out that there is a holiday on Tuesday so there is no school. It’s the Korean Memorial Day. There are no classes on Wednesday because it’s the school’s birthday. I don’t understand that one since the school is only 2 months old. The students don’t come to school but the teacher’s have to make an appearance. It’s all over my head.

I’m bonding quite well with the English teacher who is currently there. I think we may stay friends after she leaves the school. She says she wants to take me out and show me a very nice place near the border between North and South Korea that is only about 20 minutes from her home. I told her that would be terrific.

I was talking to the money guy this morning and he reminded me that I was going to his house for a visit on Saturday. I pretended I remembered, but I had totally forgotten. I don’t know if dinner is involved since he’s picking me up at 3PM but I hope not. I don’t want to go and not eat anything because I’m not sure they’d understand. I think it’s so nice of him to invite me. Things are good.

I was told today that I have to “work” on every 2nd Saturday. Middle schools and high schools are open every 2nd Saturday for ½ a day of classes. What’s dumb is that I have no classes on Saturday, but they say I should still be there. Well, if those are the rules, then those are the rules. But, and this is a big but, I checked the contract when I came home today and it explicitly says that I don’t work on Saturdays or Sundays. I’ll go tomorrow and take it with me and show them. I’m not trying to be difficult but we all have to play by the rules. I doubt that they’ve even read the contract as it’s done by the education ministry in the province. I hope they are not too crushed that I won’t be there on Saturdays to sit around and do nothing.

I had my blinds installed today so I’m quite happy about that. That means no more peeping Toms gawking at my fine figure through my open windows. They’re verticals and the material is cheap but they do the job. I think that’s my last semi-expensive house purchase because there is nothing else I can think of that I need.

I survived my bike ride once more today, but I didn’t like it any better. I hate getting to school and sweating. It’s not comfortable. At least when I come home I can have a shower if I want.

Less than eight days until I board the plane for my Texas trip. I’m still excited about it. I’ve started to make a list of all the things I want to buy when I’m there, but I’m sure I’ll forget about half of them.

That’s about it for now. All is well except I have to start thinking about cleaning this place. It’s still looks clean and new so I suppose I should try and keep it looking that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home