AND THE RECORD IS TIED!
I threw 14 kids out of class today tying the record for most kids thrown out in one class. What a joke. At least I get a laugh out of it. They’re not even sneaky when they talk in class. They’re just blatantly stupid. I was talking yesterday with a student who went to school in Toronto last year. He said that no student talks in class. That’s how I remember school. Students don’t talk and not because they fear the teacher. They don’t talk because they are polite. I think it’s just a simple little matter of manners. I’m told that I’m out in the countryside so that’s why the kid’s act like this. I ‘m told that the parents are from the lower levels of society so that’s why they act like this. I don’t buy this. I’ll go with crappy parenting.
Yesterday they set up the studio and we picked 6 kids to be the “class” I’m teaching for broadcasting. I found out that it’s a new show every day. All students will be watching every morning. I would say they’ll be sleeping and not watching. The 6 kids who are with me will learn so I can feel I’m actually doing a little bit of good. I have 2 students whose English is quite good. One is a boy who lived in Australia for 2 years, and the other is a girl who lived in the U.S. for 2 years. The rest are “normal” students who are interested and try. Participating for the students was optional. The girl from the U.S. said she didn’t want to do it but her mother was making her. I said, “who told your mother?” and she said, “I did.” So I told her she should have kept her mouth shut. I had one boy who was quite hesitant. He doesn’t feel his English is very good and he’s right. But he’s an enthusiastic student who wants to learn. I explained that to him and I told him he could be in the show with me and learn something or stuck in the classroom watching and being bored to death. He chose me so I as pleased. We begin this farce Monday morning. We have a meeting at 1PM today so I can let the know what their parts are and what to expect.
I’m so tired. I slept from 3:30AM to 6:30AM last night. Yuck. Went to the concert last night and heard a quintet consisting of a piano, 1st violin, 2nd violin, viola, and cello. I’m reminded of Miss Emily Loutella and her editorial on “What’s all this talk of violence on television”. The punch line of course delivered by Chevy Chase was, “that’s violins Miss Loutella, not violence. Violins”. God, that was a fine show.
I only fell asleep once. The music can be quite relaxing or quite boring depending on how you look at it. The audience loved it which was nice. I thought of eating at Subway afterwards which was exciting for me. I must say that eating Subway here in Korea is the same as eating it in North America. I love the consistency.
Not much planned for the weekend but looking forward to it nonetheless. Things will kick off at 4PM when I leave school and go to the supermarket. How exciting! I’ll eat dinner and probably watch a movie tonight. I watched “The Boston Strangler” earlier this week with Tony Curtis and it was quite good. It’s been centuries since I’ve seen it and I was impressed. I’m leaning towards with “Magnum Force” with Clint Eastwood or “And Justice For All” with Al Pacino. Tomorrow I have nothing planned. Usually Saeyoon and I do something but she’s helping a friend move so I may call Robert and see if he wants to do dinner. It might be time to revisit the hamburger diner we like called “Platters”. Saeyoon will come for dinner on Sunday and I will cook salmon once again. She likes it and it’s easy to do. Now that I have 2 new tires I don’t anticipate any blowouts when I drive her home. Of course any and all of these plans are subject to change without prior notice.
Four hours and 15 minutes until I’m done. I have one more class but it’s a good group so the number I throw out should be under 10. I really feel like I need a holiday. It’s been an emotionally draining week with the “broadcasting” issue and me considering quitting and then deciding there are more important reasons for staying then there are for leaving. I really think I’m doing the right thing by sticking it out. I hope I’m right.
**Note for Scott and Lou**
I understand about being alone with kids. I don't believe it's an issue here. I think they are trusting and trusting of me. The school is a 4 minute car ride from my home. I don't think I can say no in a polite manner.
They are not taping the shows, just broadcasting. It's live televison that will leave it's audiences dead.

1 Comments:
I should know better by now. You're no one's fool.
I hope all works out well with the broadcasting.
I like Al Pacino but my vote is for Clint Eastwood.
Have a good weekend.
:-)
Post a Comment
<< Home