Martin's South Korea Living!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

BORING

I really have nothing to write. I sat in my room from 8 until 4 today just surfing the net, reading, and trying to stay awake. That’s the plan for Thursday and Friday too. If these were normal people, they’d tell me to stay home. But these aren’t normal people. They’re not wrong to require me to be there, but they’re not nice either.

I’m going to Outback for dinner with Yoon Soo in a little bit. Mmmmn, Outback. When he leaves the dining choice to me, it’s always the expensive American restaurants I pick. He did say last time when he bailed on me, that it would be his treat. I think in all fairness since I bailed on him on Monday, that cancels his debt. Damn. A free steak would be nice.

I have a job interview Friday afternoon. I saw a posting for a job in Paju (where I live) teaching adults during the day. There is a certain appeal to that. I can have conversations. What I really want are conversations with kids, but you can’t have it all. I’ll go to the interview and learn what I can about the job. They offer a furnished studio apartment but I want a nice apartment. I lived in the studio apartment and it’s depressing. I need lots of room that I don’t use. I have to go to Seoul for the interview and that’s a pain, but it’s okay. A job interview. That’s weird.

I was invited out on Saturday morning to meet this Korean English teacher who is married to an American English teacher. They were 2 of the speakers at the introductory seminar I went to in May. I connected with her again because someone told me she might have some job leads. She had one, but it was already gone. She suggested that I could come and meet her and her husband and then we’d go to the American army base. So Saeyoon and I may go. It’s something different and an opportunity to hang and chat with new people.

I’m going to a concert tomorrow night. This week it’s a pianist I’m told by Saeyoon is good. I wouldn’t know good from bad. But because she might have to work late, we might not go. It’s the Korean way. You don’t know what you’re doing until you do it.

Lou, just do what? Don’t you think if I knew, I’d do it. I’m so conflicted on many fronts that nothing is entirely clear to me. I miss my kids. I miss my mother. I miss my sister. Hell, I even miss my sister’s kids if I don’t have to live with them. I like living on the other side of the world because it’s different. I like the challenge of trying to survive and thrive in a place where I don’t speak the language and can’t understand the people. Conflict, conflict, conflict. So Lou, what’s the answer I know? (I’m not being sarcastic here).

Saeyoon asked me today why Elana doesn’t like her. That came from my posting on Elana’s opinion that there was no future due to differences. I explained to Saeyoon that Elana didn’t dislike her, it was more of a comment about me and how Elana sees me. I know Saeyoon reads this and she’s the only Korean person I’ve told about this blog. Did I make a mistake in telling her? I don’t think so. I will still write what I feel and if something isn’t clear, I can answer the questions about it. It is strange though to have someone you write about actually reading what you write.

So it looks like I won’t have much to say in the next couple of days. Of course, now that I’ve said that it may change. Isn’t that the way they say it goes?

1 Comments:

Blogger XXX said...

Hi Martin,

No sarcasm intended.

Sorry, but I don't have an answer for you. I wish I did. Only you could possibly come up with the answer.

Hi Saeyoon. Please look after (take care of) Martin.

:-)

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home