WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU MIX A 25 YEAR OLD WOMAN WITH A 13 YEAR OLD GIRL IN CLASS?
An awkward class, that's what. My 8PM class has been just 1 student. She's about 25 and a University student who is taking time off until September. She studies conversation with me, and grammar with another teacher. Knowing English helps you get a job here. You can take a test and get certified in English. Employers like that even if there is no need for English at their company.
I try to have normal conversations with her along with going through the textbook. Since we are both adults it's not too bad. And I can tease her about things like this huge crush she has on Tom Cruise. Today Kelly transferred another student to that class. This is a bright and likeable 13 year old girl. I don't think she belongs in that class but apparently her mother does. And this is a business. It felt so awkward though. I had to change the pace and tempo of the class. And I have to watch my questions because I don't want to ask the older girl about her boyfriend or more adult questions with the younger one there.
The young girl (her English name is Charlotte) is the one who brought me the English-Korean phrase book. She is one of the kind of students that you wish all your students were like. She takes conversation, grammar, and Chinese conversation at this school so she's there from 6PM to 9PM. Tonight I found out she then goes to another academy to learn Chinese writing for an hour. It's absurd how some of these kids are pushed. That's a minimum of 4 hours of after regular school lessons. Then she probably has a ton of homework. It's the Korean way. I don't like it. A child should be able to play like a child. Not school, school, and more school. She told me she has this huge elementary school exam tomorrow. It is a 5 hour exam with one 10 minute break. I almost fell off my chair when I heard that one. This girl is now in middle school and she wasn't able to answer my question about why she had to take this elementary school exam. But as I keep telling myself this is Korea.
Without me saying anything today Kelly brought me a flyer for Yoga classes with times on them. She also told me the times on the Con-do classes (if that's how you spell it). That's some sort of fighting with sticks that I want to do. So she appears to be acting on the things I've asked for.
Of course on the down side she gave me another "new" schedule today. This showed me working until 10PM two nights a week. It's not for sure, it's just her latest idea. She wants to start an "advanced" conversation class for the most excellent students. She said if she gets at least 4 kids she'll do it. I told her that I really didn't want to work until 10. She said she'd buy me dinner. I think she should have asked me first if I would do it. I didn't say a definite no, but if it becomes a reality I'll negotiate something like less kindergarten classes.
I actually blew one kid's nose in kindergarten. There was one honking big boog trying to come out and I couldn't look at it anymore. So I got a Kleenex, put it up to his nose, and told him to blow. Of course I acted it out for him. It came out. I would have never thought that I'd be blowing kid's noses for a living.
The bitch/witch girl came to kindergarten today with her older sister. I don't think the sister is in the class even though she sat in. I think I was just babysitting. Why not? That's what I do with the rest of them. This girl looked about 10. The witch girl was well-behaved for once and her sister had her hands over her ears most of the class because of the noise. She looked like she felt sorry for me.
I got angry with one class today and told them off at the end. It's my 7PM class and the kids are around 14. They are a good group but they have this annoying Korean habit. If they don't understand something (which happens all the time when learning a new language) they won't ask me a question. I keep telling them it's okay to ask. When I know they don't understand something I'll say, "does everyone understand"? They all nod yes. I then start asking around and of course no one can answer. I told them they were bright and they better start asking questions because they were really annoying me and wasting my time. I really hope they get the point. Apparently the Korean mentality is that no one wants to stand out. I know that's common with all kids, but it's also part of the culture here. My list of things that I don't approve of grows. I know I said I had to conform to their ways and culture but I won't for some things. It really bugs me to be with a group of capable kids who just don't try because they don't want to look stupid. Which of course they wouldn't if they ask a question. The odd time someone asks I give them praise for just asking. When someone gives a wrong answer, I always tell them, "no but good try" or something like that. I do everything I can to develop an atmosphere where they can learn by asking questions. Oh well. All I can do is try.
Some of the kindergarten kids love to rub my head. I'm not sure why. Is it my bald spot? I think that's maybe it. Don't Korean men lose their hair? I don't get it. I let them because there is no harm done and it makes them laugh. I just wish I knew what the joke was.
I was going to take a picture of tonight's fridge magnet that was waiting for me when I got back to my apartment but I couldn't be bothered. But at least one was there. I would hate to not get one. I would feel like an outsider then.
That's it. Not many complaints and some positive comments. There is hope for me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home