WHY?
I'm asking myself that too often. I got back from work last night and didn't want to post. What for? More complaints? I'm sure the few that view this are tired of them. I know I am.
As you've noticed I figured out how to get that great picture at the top. It's not really me but the similarity is striking! I just wanted to be sure that everyone who looks here doesn't miss it.
I learned last night that my student who I thought was 25 is only 22. Younger than Elana! I am the world's worst age guesser. I just couldn't believe it. Part of the reason is that with me knowing so few people to talk to, I sometimes spend most of our class just talking to her. It's not a real conversation. I'm just blabbering on and she's listening. I make sure she understands. But it hit me last night why I go on and on with my issues and problems and questions. It's because it's someone who sort of understands English that I can speak with. Now you might think that's rather pathetic and I would have to agree with you.
As most people know I tell or do old and lame jokes. But occasionally people do appreciate them if they haven't' seen them before. This girl/woman has been telling me she is going to start jogging. So every day this week the first thing I say to her is, "did you jog this morning"? She gets all embarrassed and tells me no. I ask why and the first time she didn't hear the alarm go off. The 2nd time she heard the alarm, but her body was too heavy to move. I thought that was a good one. Last night I ask her again if she had jogged, and she said yes. So I fell off my chair clutching my chest like I was dying of shock. She told me that was very funny and she'll always remember me doing that. I think that's great that she loved my little joke, but on the other hand are there any funny people in Korea?
I had no patience for the kids at 5PM. They did their usual cry of "Game, Game" and I thought up a game. I'm trying to explain it and they're talking or looking bored (play hangman and they'll love you). I started asking if they were tired. I got a yes. So I told one kid to put his head on the desk and have a sleep and to keep his mouth shut. I went around the room asking each student if they wanted to have a sleep. Six of nine said yes. I said, "put your head down and keep your mouth shut". I then had a nice class (the brats actually kept their mouths shut) with the 3 students who were interested. Some days I don't want to keep banging my head on the wall. The girl who speaks the best in that class told me her parents speak English. I asked when she was inviting me over for dinner. I don't think she got it. Too bad because it would have been nice. I think I'll have to hint in a more direct manner.
I know you're all pretty excited about Tuesday. After all Tuesday is "White Day". You might not know what White Day is. I knew I didn't until the kids told me. On Valentine's Day you give chocolate. On White Day you give candy. That's it as far as I know. I'm so excited to see what I'll get.
When I left school last night, I walked to the taxi stand. I didn't feel like hanging around waiting for a ride, and Kelly was in my bad books again because I have to ride her to book the visa run. Every hour I'm checking on her to see if she's done her job. I'm sick of it but I don't trust her. Anyhow, these 2 Korean men did a double take when they saw me standing there. (And I'm not even 17). One of them asked me where I was going. I said, "home". He said, "hotel". I said, "no, home. My apartment". I explained that I worked down the street as an English teacher. I don't think they'd seen a white face in Gwangyang before. They told me they worked for G.E. and then shook my hand and went on their way. Damn, if they would have invited me along, I would have gone.
Today I found out that Kelly made a big effort working all morning on booking me to Japan (at least she claims to have worked on it all morning). I leave Thursday and come back Friday. There are no hotels on Saturday. The kids in Japan are off school in March. Needless to say once more I was displeased. So I spent time online today looking for a hotel. You can't seem to make online reservations. You email them the reservation and then they send you back a confirmation (if they have room) along with a voucher that you have to print to show them. So I booked 2 hotels and I'll see if one comes through. If it does, then I'll stay until later on Sunday. If not, then I suppose I return to Korea on Friday. But I had a thought tonight that if I don't stay in Japan for the weekend, I'll stay in Busan which is the port city I catch the boat from. Busan is the 2nd largest city in Korea so at least I'll see some things and maybe even find the Starbucks there!
I did basically nothing today except my tutoring. I did some work on my other job (computer) but just didn't feel like venturing out tonight. Kelly told me something about some dust wind (sometimes I don't understand a word she says) that is coming from China so if I go out I should wear a mask. I know that someone wants to say I should wear a mask anyhow, but I beat you to it. She said if she goes out tomorrow shopping or whatever, she'll call me. I'll be sure to wait by my phone.
I asked for a status update on my potential job of talking to people. I was told that the Gwangyang office has submitted a request to their main office for permission to hire me. Or so I'm told. I think that's something else I won't hold my breath about.
My attitude really stinks at times. I have even counted the weeks until I return to America for the Leah festivities. The number is 13. I can't believe I'm checking that out already. That might not be a good sign.
Here are a couple more pictures of some kids. Everyone loves kids and kids make everyone smile. Or so I've heard.

The one on the left is Jenny. She is kindergarten and incredibly smart. But she can screech and break your eardrums. The one on the right is Shelly or Sally (who can tell because of the accent). She's the one who loves to hug me, but as a student she's pretty useless.

A girl from the 4PM class. This is the 2nd level class (out of 2 classes). They're nice kids if not the shiniest pennies.

A boy from the same 4PM class. They are cute so see, I don't only say bad things.

2 Comments:
Your comments are most appreciated and make me smile. Plus as I mentioned in the post I just published that I love how the comments make me feel a little closer to my North American roots. And you're the only person I know who is a bigger loser than me.
There is absolutely no reason to apologize.
Okay, I concede. We're running neck and neck.
Post a Comment
<< Home