Martin's South Korea Living!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

OKAY, MAYBE SHE IS A MORON

Okay, here’s a codicil to my previous post. Only in blogland could I be able to use “Captain’s Log, Supplemental” and “codicil” within the space of one month. I am one lucky guy.

Is Min Kyung the new Kelly? No. I still go with she’s not as bad, she’s not deceitful, her motives in her miniscule brain aren’t devious. But she is pushing the envelope of my tolerance.

Today she told me she called the agency that placed me to tell them that I wasn’t happy. No, she didn’t discuss this with me first. She said she just wanted to know if other foreign teachers were unhappy and if they experienced the same sort of problems in school that I do. Sorry you stupid ass, you don’t call the agency and tell them I’m unhappy. If she listened to what I say, she’d know that I’m not personally unhappy, I’m unhappy about what we offer the students. However, she can’t quite grasp my meaning because she doesn’t try. I think she’s overly defensive about Korea. I make a point to tell her I’m not slamming Korea, the problems I identify are universal.

She also told the vice-principal I’m unhappy. Did she tell the vice-principal why I’m bothered by some things? I don’t think so. I mentioned this morning that a lot of students don’t bring their books to class. “Where is your book”? the teacher says. “Home”, the student says. Min Kyung latches onto this as a major problem I’m having. It means I have no control. I tell her that I don’t have control problems. I don’t have discipline problems. The kids need to bring their books. I told her that once the fall semester starts a child who doesn’t bring their book won’t be allowed in my classroom. She thinks we need to give the kids marks for bringing their books. That should solve all the problems. I told her that books or no books, the poor students aren’t going to get any better without some special attention. I think she told the vice-principal I’m unhappy because the children forget their books.

I was now angry. I didn’t hide it. I told her loud and clear that she is not to call the agency to talk about me, and she is not to talk to the principal or vice-principal about me unless she is 100% sure she understands what I’m saying. I told her that she doesn’t understand what I tell her, and that her actions make me look bad. She looked like she might start crying. I wished she would have. Did I get through to her? Beats me. It’s like when I scold the class and I know they don’t understand the words. I know they understand the tone of voice.

If she had half a brain she would let the principal know there is a problem with the students level and the only way to help is to hire another Korean English teacher. If the school did that, then I could team-teach with a Korean and that way the kids would get more attention. She says there is no money, but of course she won’t present the idea. You at least owe it to the school to try and help the problem. If they don’t take your advice, at least you’ve tried.

I think I have no choice but to cease communication with Min Kyung about issues related to the students. It will be misconstrued and misunderstood if I tell her things. She’s too nervous about everything. I want to get along in peace, and not have people misrepresenting what I say, and my motives. So she’s dead as far as discussions on teaching go.

Today some girls told me that I was gorgeous. Then they asked me if it was okay to call a man gorgeous. I told them it was. I also got some handsome’s. That’s me, sex symbol to the 15 year old set. When I get a compliment like that, I usually tell the girl that she’s pretty. One girl in class said the girl who sits in front of her said I was handsome. I think she was trying to embarrass the girl. I replied that the girl she was talking about was pretty. I don’t think she expected that. She said that the girl isn’t pretty, she’s a grandmother. (That’s an insult I suppose).

I read “The Cat in the Hat” to one of my classes today. I love that book. Doesn’t everybody? The answer is no. The kids overall found it boring. How could anyone not like the Cat in the Hat? I don’t understand Koreans.

1 Comments:

Blogger XXX said...

Some how you seem to drag them out of the woodwork. After those events I agree that you need to distance yourself as far as possible from her.

Try your own consequences with the students when they don't respect schooling. It is the only for you to find what works.

The students may have found 'The Cat in the Hat' boring because they didn't understand it?

You're one lucky guy.

:-)

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home