Martin's South Korea Living!

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

FUN CLASSROOM ACTIVITIES

First off, I only have 2 morning broadcasts to go. That’s good since they bore me and everyone else to tears. Did I mention the word “boring”. I think the “Polka Dot Door” was more exciting. Maybe I should have fashioned the broadcast after that and had a Pokeroo in it.

The first class I had yesterday wouldn’t be quiet. Since I won’t compete for air time with them I just didn’t say anything. They would occasionally stop talking but only for a minute and then it was back to talking. My attitude was to just forget about them, so I did. I walked, I read a book, I looked out the window. All in all a fascinating 45 minutes.

The second class I had was also talking but I needed to do something exciting. I’m leaning on my desk and I get a chair. I find one kid who is talking the most and I just pick up the chair and throw it. I then tell this kid to pick up the chair. He does and I tell him to sit in where I threw it. This was a bit of an attention getter but of course we have to repeat this lesson for the slower students. Another kid talks and I walk over to him and tell him to stand up. He does. I take his chair and throw it. I then tell him to go pick it up and sit down. After a while when the kids saw me walking towards someone they start yelling, “Fire in the Hole!” I don’t know where they got that but it was funny.

I’m not angry and I’m doing all I can do to not laugh out loud too much. The stupidity of it all never ceases to amaze me. One kid who I just don’t like on sight was attacking his desk with a pen. He kept slamming the pen into the desk and it was quite weird. So I go up to him and tell him to give me his pen. He does. I then tell him to put his head on the desk and this doesn’t thrill him because I have the pen and he’s totally vulnerable. When he gets his head down I pull my arm back with the pen as if I’m about to stab him and he moves. I yell at him to put his head down. It’s a game and it keeps my small mind amused. Once his head stayed down I threw my arm back and brought it down on the desk. Of course I wasn’t going to stab him, but I’m sure a bunch of people thought I would. Thank you Korean School System for teaching kids that their teachers may perform violence on you.

Min Kyung visits me towards the end of the day yesterday to tell me they will be taping my class today as an advertisement. I tell her that it can’t be an advertisement and I explained what the word it. I think it’s some kind of promotional thing. What’s stupid is no warning. They should have done it last Friday when we had our open class. As a concession to the taping I decided to not wear jeans today.

I can’t shake the feeling that I’m making a mistake. I tell myself that if things don’t work out I can go and there is no hurry. However, there is a nagging doubt inside of me that says that things aren’t what you want them to be so you should have just pissed off. I hope I’m wrong, but it’s annoying to doubt your every move. I can’t remember the last time my confidence in myself was at such a low.

I know someone who keeps a blog but doesn’t tell anyone the address of it. It’s only for his most personal thoughts. Sometimes I think I should have done this. I usually just let go and say what I want, but I do edit somewhat due to certain members of the reading public. I hate editing. Sometimes you just want to say, “fuck you” or “fuck this” but certain people may take offense. This usually are fleeting moments and things change ,but a “fuck you” can last forever.

It’s 9:30AM. I have 6 1/2 hours left here. I’ll probably escape at 3:30. What are they going to do? Fire me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home