Martin's South Korea Living!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS

It's a good thing I'm a calm and reasonable person. I am able to control myself. I don't try to strangle anyone. I stay patient. I am inscrutable. Maybe.

Okay, here's the official trip plan. I could have been going to Japan for 3 days and not 2. Kelly told me that 2 days was enough. I understand that she doesn't want me to miss 3 days of school. It's not good for business.

I was told/asked to leave to catch the boat in Busan on Thursday morning. The boat leaves at 9AM and the bus ride to Busan is 2 hours. I asked Kelly if there were early morning buses. She said there is and there's one at 6AM. Fine. If that's what's needed, that I'll get up early and go.

Today she tells me that the first bus in the morning is at 7:15AM and that means I won't make the 9AM ferry. She asks if I'll go to Busan tomorrow night and sleep there so I can catch the ferry. Fine. If that's what's needed, then I'll do that.

I asked her what time the last bus is and she said that they always run every hour. She had to go out from the school but she would get the schedule and buy the ticket on the way back to the school. She didn't. And guess what? The last bus is at 6:35PM. She didn't find that out. Jack (the person who helps out) told her. She said that we'd go to the bus station and get the ticket. Guess what? The ticket window is closed for the night.

I asked her where I'd be staying in Busan tomorrow night. That question took her by surprise. She said that she'd have to find me a place. DUH! She said not to expect too much and I said that as long as it's clean, I don't care.

So, I could have had a day in Japan for myself but I don't. The simple reason is that Kelly never did her homework on me going there and the time involved. She's a damn know-it-all who knows nothing. Why do people give you answers when they don't really know the answer? I'll never understand that.

So tomorrow night a bus ride to Busan and sleeping in some fleabag motel. Thursday morning to Japan and sleep there. Friday back to Busan. My hotel is booked for Friday night and Saturday night in Busan. I'll come back to Gwangyang Sunday. Maybe.

After the reasonably decent day yesterday, I was just in a not-so-good mood today. I had little patience. I had next to none for the kindergarten class. I couldn't take their not listening and screeching so I just walked out. I told them I wasn't coming back until they were sitting and quiet. One of the good boys understood and tried to get the class under control. He almost did it. But there are always 1 or 2 who ruin it for the good ones. So I spent half the class in the hallway while I blocked the door so they couldn't get out. If I had gasoline and a match I might have thrown it in the room.

Sometimes I'm surprised with how little some of my kids know. (And they're really not my kids). In one class they repeat everything I say. I show them a picture in their book and say, "What are they doing"? The class responds in unison, "What are they doing"? How can they not know even the most basic of questions? Once you're past "What is your name", you're done.

I asked the kids in another class why the classes are quiet for the Korean teachers, but they talk when in my class. One boy said that I'm "too soft". I think I'm supposed to strike fear into them. I tried to explain that I won't yell and I won't hit. I said I just don't understand this rudeness of talking when others are talking. Maybe I should try some discipline but I really don't want to. I want them to be good because it's the right thing to do, and not out of fear. But as I've been told many times in the course of my life, I'm a fool.

Some girls gave me candy today as it was "White Day". You remember White Day. I found out from Jason (the other English teacher) that it comes from Japan and is an invention of the candy companies to sell candy. It's strange that they would have a day that comes from Japan. The Koreans don't really like the Japanese. But I suppose candy trumps all.

So I don't think I'll be posting again until Sunday night. I don't think I'll take my laptop with me. I know the weekend hotel in Busan has Internet access in the rooms but there's the red light district to visit. (That's a joke, folks). It will be good to get out of town. I look forward to it even if it was supposed to have been a few days in Japan and should have been a few days in Japan and could have been a few days in Japan. I'll get over it. I'll go another time. But when I go I'll have to foot the whole bill.

Busan, here I come!

2 Comments:

Blogger XXX said...

I hope your trip goes smoothly and does not hold any more unpleasent surprises. Remember your camera. Good trip.

I think your boss is a @#$%, *&%+ and :><@_().

How about during your first class upon returning from Japan you tell the kids you don't want to use discipline and you prefer for them to cooperate. You are giving them a choice and opportunity to cooperate or not. But if they don't then you will have the one(s) not cooperating stand up beside their desk and hold both arms straigth out until you say to stop. If you decide to do this then you would need to enforce it immediately or you lose. Take your cues from the question you asked them. It may be what they expect. Unless you walking out and locking them in the classroom impressed them enough to cooperate.

:-)

11:01 AM  
Blogger Adventures in South Korea said...

She's not a _$#(*)$%. She's just disorganized and has no idea what's involved in the care and nurturing of a foreigner. That only makes her undependable and annoying.

As for your advice, I have also had suggested to me to make the kid stand with their chair held over their heads.

The problem with the Kindergarten kids is there is no way I could tell them this in any way they understand it. The other problem is I would have to run it by Kelly first. Because this is a business before it's a school and if the kids complain to their parents, and their parents pull them out of school (because their kids are perfect) then that would be bad for business.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home