WHAT DO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AND KFC HAVE IN COMMON FOR ME?
Tonight I visited both for the first time in years. I met Saeyoon after work and we went to grab a quick bite to eat. KFC was close so I broke down and had a chicken sandwich. I didn’t die. She doesn’t eat meat so she had a biscuit and cole slaw. Of course this wasn’t much so she went to another place and got fish soup. It smelled nasty. It’s so humorous that I’m dating someone who doesn’t eat meat. Most of the stuff she likes (Korean), I can’t handle. She’s not a vegetarian, she just doesn’t eat meat. Nothing wrong with that, but who would have thought I’d be out with someone like that.
That was our prelude to going to church. Saeyoon’s mother is Catholic. Her father is Buddhist. Saeyoon is who knows what but plays the organ in a Presbyterian church. Her mother asked her to go to mass tonight. Tonight’s mass is for people to confess their biggest sin of the year. There’s a big line of people to go up to the priests and tell them their worst sin. Apparently this is done before Christmas and she went because her mom wanted her to. I went because she went, and because it would be an interesting cultural experience. It was kind of interesting. I was the only white guy there, but I love how the Koreans don’t stare at you. Kids will and that’s okay, but adults don’t.
So I’m going out with a non-meat eating Christian of sorts. I’m glad I’m a little more tolerant than I used to be.
Tomorrow evening is the Outback party. Free steak! Whoopee! No classes tomorrow, just this party. I think I can handle that.
I might get my hair cut this weekend. I’m psyching myself up because I hate haircuts. If I go to Toronto in February without cutting my hair, my mother will kill me. It’s nice to still be someone’s kid.
The family gathers at my sister’s on Saturday day for the Chanukah dinner and the exchange of gifts. I’m sorry I’m missing that. I could use some new socks. Leah won’t be there, I won’t be there. Sometimes it’s no fun growing up. (If that’s what this is).
I’m stuffing my face with caramel corn and peach ice tea. This is the life.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home