THIS AND THAT
This and that is what you use for a title when you don’t have a title. Life goes on here in Korea. I am getting a little annoyed with Kyle as he is not a person to be counted on. I have a schedule constantly in flux which I hate. He makes pronouncements and doesn’t follow through on them. He’s not a bad person but his organizational skills are sorely lacking. I was complaining about it on the phone tonight to Saeyoon and she asked me if she could mention my complaints to him. I emphatically said, “NO!” It’s really nice that she wants to let him know of my unhappiness but if the time comes when it becomes too much, then I’ll tell.
I have 2 adult students on Monday nights. They are both kindergarten teachers. One teaches English and the other teaches art. The English teacher is 24 and the art teacher is 29 and they are both very lovely and charming young ladies. When I met them before the first class they asked for my phone number and I gave it to them. I told them to feel free to call me if they ever want to get together and do something. They send me text messages occasionally telling me to have a good weekend and whatnot so I thought on Friday I would send them a message and see it they wanted to have dinner. I got a call from So Young (the 24 year old) and she said they were going out with some other teachers for drinking and eating. She then invited me along and told me the others wanted me to come. I thought that was quite nice and I accepted. So on Friday night I was in a bar with 6 women who were all (except for Gee Hyun the art teacher) kindergarten English teachers. I had a great time socializing, meeting people, drinking, playing drinking games, and even trying some Korean food.
On Saturday, Saeyoon, Robert and I were to go bowling and for Mexican food. Saeyoon called and wanted to change it to Sunday because the old woman wasn’t feeling up to snuff. I told her it would probably be okay and then she asked if she could just come here and hang out. That worked for me. I called Robert and he was willing to change and then Saeyoon bailed out on me. What was it this time? It’s another of these damn cultural things that I can’t understand but must accept. She was about to leave her house when her mother asked her to stay home because her mother wasn’t feeling well. Of course, the good Korean daughter stays. What gets me is that I don’t know any parent who would ask their kid to stay home because they weren’t feeling well. It’s weird. It’s Korea. Can I bitch about it? No. It’s just Korea.
So Saturday was a wasted day of doing nothing. Sunday was much better as Saeyoon, Robert and I went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner. I had fajitas. Weird. Fajitas in Korea. Saeyoon had the Chimichanga and she liked it. She doesn’t eat meat so she had the bean one. She said it was an okay place but there is no need to return there and I agree.
We then went bowling and were Robert and Saeyoon ever pathetic. I was horrible but there are no words to describe their lack of ability. We bowled 3 games and Robert was pleased because his score went up every game. I think he got something in the sixties in the third game. But, and this is the most important thing, it was fun. We all enjoyed ourselves and it was a successful outing.
I got home last night at 11 and I had no schedule for Monday’s work. I had to call Kyle and get a schedule. This annoyed me and is getting to be typical. It was a long day of work today and not much fun. I worked at the academy that is full of stupid kids and I hate using the word stupid. But these kids don’t use their brains. Kindergarten kids are brighter than them. I really hate being there. A new teacher may be hired tomorrow and then they get to go to this academy and I’ll be thrilled.
I got a call from So Young while at school telling me that Gee Hyun was sick and therefore they’d have to cancel the lesson. I told her the lesson was paid for so if she wanted to do it alone that was fine with me. She suggested we just go out for dinner so I went for that. I picked her up and she asked me where I wanted to go. I said “American food” as usual so we went to the Outback. Her sister (27 years old) met us there and I had a really good time with the 2 of them. We get along, So Young is quite funny and she says her nickname is “Forever Young” although she has no clue who Bob Dylan is. Her sister is a piano teacher who has actually been to Israel (devoted Christian) and has also seen Petra in Jordan. Petra is the most amazing site I’ve ever seen in my life so it was so strange to be sitting in an Outback in Korea talking about both seeing this amazing site in Jordan. I love small world episodes.
The first time I met So Young and Gee Hyun we ate at a noodle restaurant. They paid when I wasn’t looking. On Friday night all the women paid and wouldn’t take any money from me. Tonight So Young paid and wouldn’t take money from me. I made her promise the next time I treat. I’m not one to turn down a free meal but enough kindness already. Saeyoon says it’s a respect thing but it makes me uncomfortable. It is nice though to have made a couple more friends.
I was very depressed on the weekend. My depressions aren’t really surface depressions but I can feel them lurking just underneath. I know the meds help. I just don’t want to feel any depression. Laura thinks I’ll be better when I figure out what I want to do. I agree but I’ve never been all that good at figuring out what I want to do. I think I’m committed in my mind until May. I may stay past then, I may go to China, I may go to North America. If the romance with Saeyoon is still on and growing then it becomes a decision for both of us to make together. I don’t want this overwhelming loneliness that I feel from time to time keep returning. Is this relationship the right thing? As the Koreans like to say, “maybe”. I think I can wait this out. May isn’t far and things should become more apparent as time goes on. The only thing I know for sure is that I am quite happy and content when we are together. We can talk, we can be silent, we can laugh, we can be all sorts of things together. It’s the times apart when doubt creeps in. I am aware of certain needs in my life and if I can’t get them here then I need to move on. Naturally I want everything to work out very nicely. But I will carefully guard against only seeing what I want to see and disregarding reality.
Here are some pics from the weekend. The first is the décor at the Mexican restaurant.

This is Robert and Saeyoon at our table.

Saeyoon studying her first Taco Salad.

Robert after one of his typically feeble shots.

Robert after what I think is his only strike in 3 games.

Saeyoon giving the thumbs up before she most likely threw a gutter ball.

Saeyoon admiring what was most likely a gutter ball.

The god of Korean bowling.

Saeyoon failing to convert a spare. But she did knock some pins down this time.

Saeyoon giving the traditional Korean sign that means “I stink at bowling”.

And look at how good our scores are getting.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home