Martin's South Korea Living!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A NEW STUDENT

I must admit I really enjoy my adult class on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Usually in a class of about 20 people there is at least one person who you don’t like. I can’t say that. Those that talk, I like. Those that don’t talk, I don’t know. I love the opportunity it gives me to hang with a bunch of Koreans at one time and learn a little about them and the culture.

The feeling I get right before I go into class is very similar to how I felt before going on stage in a play. I don’t feel that I’m teaching but rather giving a performance. I’m not kidding myself, I don’t teach them. I see my job as creating an environment where they won’t be afraid to practice the little English they know, discuss adult topics, learn some new vocabulary from listening to me, and ask me all the questions they want.

They seem to like me which I appreciate. Many of them laugh at my jokes and I’m impressed that they get them regardless of how lame they are. Last night I asked people to tell me something that stressed them. One woman said her husband always forgets her birthday and that stresses her. The next woman said, “me too” (as her husband forgets her birthday too). I said, “Oh, her husband (the first woman) forgets your birthday too”? Most of the class laughed which surprised me that they got it.

Saeyoon came to my class last night and I thought I’d be nervous but I wasn’t in the least. I figured out why I wasn’t nervous and it’s because I actually feel confident in that class. I feel I’ve built a relationship with the class and we’re comfortable with each other. She sat in class like any other student. When I was asking people what they did on the weekend, a student asked me and I told them I saw “Jesus Christ Superstar” and that I loved it. When I asked Saeyoon (as a class member) what she did on the weekend she also said she saw “Jesus Christ Superstar”. However, no one in the class put the two of us together which was interesting.

At break time they threw me out of the class to discuss taking up a collection to buy me dinner on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Someone asked me last week if I had had dinner and I told them no. So they think I don’t eat dinner and they want to be sure I eat. I was quite touched to learn this. And I’m a little uncomfortable as I don’t want to eat in front of them. It’s the Korean way (this kind of generosity towards teachers) and I am genuinely moved by it. (Saeyoon told me that this gesture towards a teacher was not unusual.) Saeyoon told them that I’m a fussy eater and don’t really eat Korean food. One of the women asked Saeyoon how she knew me and Saeyoon said I was her English teacher in the past. The woman who asked wondered how that was possible as I’ve only been in Korea for one year. But Saeyoon’s answer sufficed.

When I was asking about weekends one woman started to tell a story about going away with her sweetheart (sweetheart = boyfriend). She was the one who said she had never had a lover a few weeks ago. I was so pleased as she told her story and then she said, “the next thing I heard was the sound of my alarm clock going off”. She fooled everyone. She had made up the story and it was quite believable. I was quite impressed but I wish it could have been true.

I made an appointment with my student who is an ophthalmologist. I have insurance here so it will be much cheaper than going in Canada. I like the look of his face which is about all I have to go on as to his competence. It sounds like he has a successful practice and he travels to conferences to stay up to date. That’s why he wants to improve his English. He told me he won’t charge me which I found strange but apparently teachers get things for free. I told Saeyoon and she said it was the “Korean way”. I said, “so teachers get free things”, and she said that yes, they do. If you have an adult student or a child student with a parent in the business of something you need, you get a discount or get it for free. It’s very nice but it makes me a little uncomfortable. People are in business to make money. I understand a discount, but free? I guess some people respect teachers still.

So the adult class is giving me what I want. We have decent conversations and I learn about Korean people. I guess I like performing. I wish there was a market for an entertainer whose act is pretending to be a teacher. Oh well.

I really liked having Saeyoon there. I can’t explain it but it didn’t feel strange. I can’t say it was natural but it was comfortable. That’s about the best word I can come up with. She said it was definitely a different kind of “date” and she was right. She wants to come to my class next week. It’s winter vacation here so she finishes her school early and can come. If I was her, I wouldn’t go anywhere near some boring class. I really hate to say things are good because that usually brings on something bad, but the fact is things are good. I feel we are getting closer and understanding each other more and more. She says she learns a lot from me but whether that translates into mature actions on her part remains to be seen. (I tend to tell her some things about her relationship with her mother from a parent’s point of view.) I told her that I hate when I tell her something and she tells me I’m right. I don’t want to be right, I just want what should happen to be happening. I really wish I could have a Korean head for a day so perhaps I could understand things better. There is no way I will ever understand certain things. I feel bad when I condemn some things but they just don’t seem right. But maybe if I truly could get into the Korean mindset I might change some of my views.

Today I only had 1 class. I had a 90 minute class with my bright middle school student. It went quickly and I don’t mind being with her. I think the only classes I really don’t like are elementary school kids. They are too young to know much English so conversations are impossible, and they are too old to have the innocent enthusiasm of kindergarten kids. I wish there could be daytime adult classes as that might be perfect for me. I don’t want to work nights and I like being with students I can talk with. But guess what? It’s not going to happen.

Ten days until Canada. It’s weird to think about it. I’m bloody homeless. I can’t find a place where I belong. I’m really looking forward to seeing everyone but it doesn’t feel like I’m going “home”. I should have spent my earlier years accumulating lots and lots of money to support my wanderlust. However, I feel pretty good emotionally. Physically I could be better. My breathing isn’t 100% due to the crappy air here. I’ve either put on weight or my stomach is bloated and won’t go down. It feels bloated and has since my stomach ailment. But I still feel positive. I think sticking a decision date (for something) of May has helped me. Thank you Laura.

1 Comments:

Blogger XXX said...

Hi Martin,

Things seem to be progressing well. 10 more days to Canada. Let me know when and if you are available to have dinner.

:-)

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home