SUPERSTAR
Saturday was “Jesus Christ Superstar” and neither Saeyoon or myself was disappointed. This was her first big-time professional musical that she’d seen and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Boy, was I happy about that. I loved it. It was in Korean but knowing most of the lyrics meant I could easily follow it. Sometimes Saeyoon would lean over to tell me what was happening but I would tell her. She would forget that I knew it and just think it’s in Korean so she better explain it to me.
The Jesus was great. He had a fabulous voice and was not a whiner like on the album or in the movie. Mary was great. She had a voice that could almost bring tears to your eyes without understanding a word she was singing. Judas was awful. Saeyoon said he was a big Korean rock star but he couldn’t act or sing. He just seemed to scream.
Watching Korean actors acting as the people in Israel a few thousand years ago was bizarre to say the least. I can safely say that none of the actors looked Jewish. It was wonderful for me because it was different (Korean) but I could still watch it and critique it as a play. There were things I thought were great (the part with the lepers), and things I thought could have been better like the dancing in the Simon Zealotes song. Being able to share Saeyoon’s first big musical production experience was a thrill for me too.
On Sunday we watched 2 movies. I saw “Reservoir Dogs” again and Saeyoon saw it for the first time. It’s great. It’s violent, it’s funny, the acting and dialogue are great and it’s just plain enjoyable. I bought it before meeting Saeyoon but I hadn’t watched it yet. She says she doesn’t really like violent movies so I thought I’d show her one. She liked it but had to use the subtitles only. The dialogue moves so fast it was too difficult for her to follow. There is so much American slang in it that I have no idea how it translates. I do think it is the best Quentin Tarantino movie.
We also watched the Adam Sandler movie “Click” and I’m embarrassed to say that I really enjoyed it. I laughed all the way through it except for the sappy parts when I cried. Saeyoon enjoyed it but there must have been a lot she missed because it’s such a culturally American film. When I watch a movie with her, I’m aware of how “American” a film is and wonder how it translates.
We had dinner at my place. We ordered in from 2 different places. Saeyoon had Korean food and I had pizza. I wanted a cheese pizza but Saeyoon forgot to tell them to hold the corn. Yes, cheese pizza comes with corn. Corn on my pizza is not one of my favorite things but it does beat sweet potato. Here is a picture of us enjoying our dinner.

The lies of Kyle are getting stupider and stupider and annoying me a bit. If I had to keep them bottled up they’d drive me crazy. Because I can discuss it with Saeyoon (and she doesn’t understand him either) it lets me get it out and deal with it. He owed me some money from my last pay period and he told me he would transfer it to my bank account. Today I told him it never happened and he told me that he thought I took the cash from some money (fees that a student gave me) I was holding for him. I would never touch his money. The fact is he forgot to do what he said he would do but instead of saying, “Sorry, screwed up”, he makes up a silly lie. I also wanted him to change the schedule a little to something that made it easier for me and made more travel sense but he said that one of my classes couldn’t be changed because the mother told him they had to have the class on certain days. I asked these 2 students in class today what they did on the other days when I wasn’t teaching them and they told me, “nothing”. So he lied. Why? I don’t know.
“Fish gotta swim
Birds gotta fly
I work for Kyle
And he’s gotta lie”
We are definitely going to have to talk, but I need to figure out a way to tell him that I know he’s a liar without calling him a liar. What a stupid pain.
I need an eye exam and I’m debating whether to wait until Canada or to do it here. Here will be cheaper and I know an ophthalmologist. He is one of my adult students so I would go to him. Reading the eye chart would be a real challenge for me. I will decide tomorrow before adult class.
Saeyoon may come to my adult class tomorrow. She wants to see me “teach” and I admit it would make me a touch nervous. I wouldn’t tell anyone who she was and she’d be in the class just like a new student joining. Of course, I may break out laughing when I ask her a question which I will have to do because I make everyone talk a little. It will be interesting to say the least.
Saeyoon and I talked a little about the future on Saturday and it was good. We still don’t know for sure where it will lead but I felt positive about things afterwards and I believe she did too. I was up front about my feelings and concerns and she let me know about the difficulties she has in introducing me to her mother and family. I am aware of this but we both know that time is ticking and something is going to happen one way or another in the next few months. I do like being with her. We need to spend more time together to be sure that we still enjoy being with each other. Yeah, I guess it’s a positive mood I’m in right now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home