SO, WHAT’S NEW?
Not much. I had a CT scan yesterday on my heart arteries and I’ll get the results next Wednesday. When I got there my pulse was 96 and they like it to be 65 or less for the test so they give you some drugs to bring it down. It seems my heart rate wouldn’t go beneath 75 so after 2 hours of waiting they finally took the pictures. I’m not worried. What will be, will be.
Some of these kindergarten classes I’m getting are a total waste of time. The kids are about 2 or 3 and there is no way I can teach them English. I’m not qualified to handle large groups of per-school children. Sometimes there is a Korean teacher in there with me, and sometimes there isn’t. I won’t yell at them or act angry. I just let them do their animal act because I know I can’t win. Perhaps if they cut the class size down from 25 to 12 each, and instead of 40 minutes did 20 minutes, and had a Korean teacher in there with me, there would be a small chance for success. But I tell Kyle I will fail as it is so my conscience is clear. I know what I can do, and I know what I can’t do. I’m not a pre-school teacher.
Saturday night Saeyoon and I went to Chang Ho’s house for food and alcohol. There were about 15 people there (all Korean but me) and I had a very nice time. Perhaps it was all the plum wine I had but most people are kind and if they know a little English, they make an effort to communicate. I also drank some Soju so I think I was quite inebriated. After leaving, some of us went to a bar because if you’re Korean, you can’t drink enough. I had some Soju there and then Saeyoon took me home in a taxi. She spent the night (because it doesn’t seem to be that big a deal for her when she’s been drinking) and in all honesty it’s wonderful to wake up and see her beside me. On Sunday we went to see a play that she had free tickets for. It was all in Korean and the chairs were quite uncomfortable. So not only didn’t I understand a word, my butt was killing me. She tried to explain what was happening but there was no action in the play, it was all dialogue. Saeyoon said it was boring to her. But it’s something new I tried.
There is a musical here that has been playing for over 10 years that we will go and see. It’s in Korean but they have English subtitles so I’m looking forward to it. Originally it was a German play that they translated. They’ve modified it so much so that it reflects Korean life that they no longer have to pay royalties to the German creators. I am looking forward to this.
Kyle is still an ass and a liar and I have to watch everything he does and keep bringing things up that I shouldn’t have to. My job is mundane and basically I don’t really like it. There are a few classes I like but mostly I would just as soon not do it. Life is life. I read a lot. I watch DVD’s. I spend time with Saeyoon but not enough time. My eating habits suck due to irregular hours, no oven, and extreme laziness. The weather is getting nice. The days are sunny but it’s still cold at night when the sun goes down. I still think about what the best thing for me to do is and I know I’ve promised myself to make a decision by mid-month so that time is almost here.
It’s so easy to just fall into a rut and let life blow you this way and that way without taking any positive action yourself. I think I like to stir things up a bit so it’s probably time for me to do something a little different to shake my life up. I know I’m just letting things happen to me and I’m not overly happy with my current situation. I don’t really like my job (and what job would I like?). I love Saeyoon but I’m tired of dating and saying goodbye at the end of the night. I had one adult student tell me that the best thing about being married (and she’s been married over 20 years) was that when her and her husband go out, they can go home together. I really liked that.
Maybe I’ve learned too much patience since being here. Perhaps if I hadn’t reached the level of tolerance and patience I have now, I’d be quicker to do something. Food for thought.
I have 3 elementary students to teach this afternoon, followed by 2 hours at a kindergarten, followed by 90 minutes with a clever 14 year old girl who is pretty full of herself. Oh joy. Can’t wait.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home